Saturday, June 15, 2013

Compassion is the Fruition of Respect and Understanding

                                            January 22nd, 2013

      Filled out an application for the local newspaper today, stuffing papers overnight sounds like fun to me, hell anything sounds fun to me at this point. This is officially my longest period of unemployment in my life at this point. Filled out another application for the gas station downtown, would be a great job for me to have because I already know a big chunk of the customers because most of the homeless people from the shelter go there to spend their foodshare money. Ran into Deana at the coffee shop, she bought me a coffee and I bought a sandwich, offered to split it with her but she wasn't hungry. I find I'm much better at giving and sharing now that I'm out of the shelter. I think it's because my scarcity mentality has been somewhat eased. Deana and I sat and talked about the program for a while.

" When I was in early recovery my daughter tried to blame me for her bad grades. I was always all over her about doing her homework at that time though, so I just took it in the context that those were her feelings.So even though her homework issues weren't my fault, it didn't really matter because that was how she felt and to her those feelings were real.Feelings are real and powerful things, they color your whole reality so you have to acknowledge them to yourself, and especially in other people."

     Stephen Covey said something like; " We see the world as We are, not as it actually is." Deana's conversation with me about her daughter reminded me of that. Not only do I not have to be right, where other people's feelings are concerned it doesn't even matter if I am right. The feelings of others deserve respect and great care must be taken where they are concerned. We're all here and we all want to tell each other what reality is but what is real for me may not be real for you, and vice versa. Where reality is concerned... yours will never be mine, nor should it.

No comments: