Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Moment of Silence For the Alcoholic Who Still Suffers (me)

                                                              October 23rd, 2012

      Stuck to the plan today and didn't contact Eve. Donated plasma and went to the noon NA meeting on the far side of town. Aaron at the shelter found me this morning and handed me 15$ someone had left for me. I bought a pouch of Drum with it, it was a pleasant surprise to say the least. Always nice when someone pays you back. Caught the early bus out to plasma, Brand from the shelter was on it. We gabbed about agates for a while, where to find them, what you can expect to find in this area, that kind of stuff. We're both decent rockhounds but different, Brand tends to find a handful of little agates and chalcedony, I tend to find larger specimens good for 'slabbing'. Our conversation was so involved that Brand left his wallet and his book on the bus when he got off. I snagged his effects and returned them to him while I was waiting to donate. The only part of my plan that didn't reach fruition was going to Express job service. I forgot my resume this morning at my storage unit so I went to the NA meeting instead. Almost felt like it was meant to happen that way, I got to catch up with some peeps I hadn't seen in a while. Walked back downtown swinging by my storage unit to grab my resume on the way to the shelter. So tomorrow I can crush my oldest enemy... unemployment. Still pursuing my jewelry hobby, contacted a semi famous lapidarist in the area via his website at the library. he responded almost immediately, he's not looking for an apprentice but he pointed me toward a Jeweler two towns over that has been known to take on metalsmithing apprentices. School, job, jewelry... why not all of it? Yesterday before the five o'clock meeting the shelter director told me he'd be spending his evening cleaning out the room of a dead alcoholic at the boarding house he runs. I thought about that when we took a 'moment of silence for the alcoholic who still suffers' later that night. Can't imagine what he goes through on a regular basis running the shelter and a boarding house, probably more of the same. What do you say to the guy's family? Assuming he has any that cares that he's now dead. It's a good lesson about the ' Deadly, Progressive nature of this disease '. One of my fellows in the program once told me that when you stop drinking and then relapse you don't return to the level of alcohol consumption you were at when you quit, you go back to the level you would have been at if you'd never stopped at all. Back when the big blue book was written Alcoholism was considered to be incurable by most medical professionals, the best solution they had was to lock you up in a padded room for the rest of your life so you could never get yours hands on another bottle of booze. I think about being that dying old drunk in a boarding house and myself as him, when I take the moment of silence. Estranged from my family, working a dead end job, and drinking myself to death. I've hit two out of three of those and I have no desire to let alcohol kill me again.      

No comments: